Week Thirteen: The Handmaids Tale (5 Points)

 I’m excited to say that I was looking forward to finally reading the novel of the Handmaid's tale.  I previously watched the tv series that is available on Hulu with my mother and.. it really was something. The series isn’t spot on when compared to the novel but at first time watching the show it was not what I expected, but after finally reading the novel- we dove further into the situation that the series left out. 


The book is laid out with a utopian society, we mainly focus on one group who are known as the Handmaids.  They’re story is relatively depressing to me, as they are forced to reproduce children for men of high class. Aside from that the reader is taken into an emotionally derived character known as Offred who is also placed as the narrator within the tale. Offred tells the story of how life is like within her society. I’d like to mention that the author brings a new perspective of high descriptive details about the surrounding areas and about characters emotions and feelings. I felt really emerged within the novel, most especially due to the author's style of writing. It was also very interesting how biblical passages were included in some of the story’s characters. 


The novel itself was as intriguing as when I first watched the series on hulu and the story was overall depressing to read.  The word utopia is so misleading to me, it varies whether it's good or bad, and in this case the plot is tragic and demeaning towards females. 

Comments

Popular Posts